Christian Women’s Job Corps in Tyler was founded by Sandra Mitcham in 1998 while she was on staff at Green Acres Baptist Church. She heard about the national program through Women’s Missionary Union (WMU). Ms. Mitcham asked if she could start a chapter of Christian Women’s Job Corps and they enthusiastically agreed. She invited a group of advisors to join her. They were Linda Lesniewski, Cathy Powell, Mona Smith, Carol Smith, Doris Sanders, Martha Adams, and Dorothy Flournoy.
In 2000, CWJC was incorporated as a nonprofit and held its first class. Since then, more than 1800 women have completed the 10-week computer skills and employment training programs. CWJC has been led by the following former directors: Sandra Mitcham, Amanda Thornton, Becky Grimaud, Sandy Adams, Kathy Gohmert, Leilani Anderson and Krista Adams Wallace.
Christian Women’s Job Corps has been held on the sites of the following churches: Green Acres Baptist Church, Grace Community Church, and First Baptist Church of Tyler. All three churches continue to be active partners in the CWJC ministry. Many women have found employment in Smith County, changed the lives of their families and found a greater spiritual awareness through the work of Christian Women’s Job Corps of Tyler.
The Christian Women’s Job Corps of Tyler is faithfully led by our 2017 Board of Directors:
- Gay Brookshire Chair – Psychotherapist (retired)
- Nancie Pritchard Vice Chair ( Suddenlink (retired)
- Janet Gadt Treasurer – East Texas Medical Center
- Cecelia Ellis Secretary – Educator (retired)
- Amanda Thornton Previous Chair – Tyler Junior College
- Patricia Galdamez – Grace Espanol, retired RN
- Autumn Hanson – The Clothesline, Scentsy
- Montreece Soares – Clear Marketing Concepts
- Ivette Zavarce – Mentoring Alliance
- Linda Alden – Women's Ministry Director, Grace Community Church (retired)
- Shelley Judd – Executive Director of Parent Services Center (retired)
- Randy Goad – Regional VP, Suddenlink (retired)